I added a team EPA visualization that's limited to the current playoff teams that might shed some light on where teams stand on offense and defense. What I find particularly useful is the week filter slider, which shows how teams have performed over recent games. You can find it on the tab titled '2011 P.O.'
A few things that struck me:
- The NO offense has outdone the GB offense, particularly in the 2nd half of the season.
- GB's defense is actually much better than its total yards allowed would indicate.
- The PIT offense has faded in the later weeks.
- The BLT offense has come on since week 9, but its defense has faded.
- The NYG defense is over-rated, even over the recent several weeks.
- DET appears to be the most balanced playoff team--solid on both sides of the ball, but the defense has faded in the 2nd half of the season.
- DEN is by far the weakest team in the playoffs.
- HST's defense alone keeps it a threat in the AFC.
- NE's defense is a -7 point defense, but its offense is a +14 pt squad.
- ATL and CIN are mediocre playoff teams as they go, but are opposite sides of the coin.
- SF is all defense.